[thelist] Nested Queries

Jay Blanchard jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com
Wed Aug 21 09:29:01 CDT 2002

[snip]
Each group has a row in a database which has a field for the group name, the
individual emails, and the groups that are included in that group.

When the user sends an email I need to do a query on the database for the
main group, followed by the groups that are included in the main group.
Then I need to query on any children groups of those included in the main
group and on and on.

I am trying to script a loop that will do this, but am having trouble.  If
anyone can assist, I would be appreciative.  ASP is best, but I will take
what I can get and extrapolate from there.
[/snip]

Josh,

Forgive me, but the table set up seems a little backwards. I would have a
table that has an e-mail address column, with columns following that contain
each of the groups that this e-mail addy belongs to. Then query the database
for all e-mail addresses belonging to a group or groups. A second table
could be set up that defined each group and member of other group
information. Just a thought ...

Jay

* Texas PHP Developers Conf  Spring 2003                  *
* T Bar M Resort & Conference Center                      *
* New Braunfels, Texas                                    *
* San Antonio Area PHP Developers Group                   *
* Interested? Contact jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com *