[thelist] Nested Queries

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil
Wed Aug 21 12:49:01 CDT 2002

>I agree you should probably have your groups define their parent rather
>than have you groups define their children, otherwise you will have some
>work to do.

Unless you need a group to be a member of 0..n other groups, in which case
you wind up with a many-to-many structure (and thus a joining table) and
then it shouldn't matter if you go bottom-up or top-down.

Or am I missing something?

If taking the bottom-up approach, find a good ASP threaded messageboard
script (I think Kurt Cagle did one for a devx.com article) and adapt the
code and approach used there. It's all the same design pattern.

Speaking of which, anybody know where to find these database patterns? I
couldn't find one for this with a search just now (google: "database design
patterns").

Thanks,
-dave