[thelist] Mac - which browsers/OS to test?

Adrian Simmons adrinux at ntlworld.com
Thu Aug 22 09:04:01 CDT 2002

Katharina Andresen wrote:
 > I'm going to be working on a site which needs to work for Mac users.
 > Which browsers and OS versions is it most important to test with?
The only reason to use OS 9 is to test with NS4.x, but AFAIK it's no
different from the pc version. NS4 runs happily in OS X's classic
environment if you need it.

I don't think NS6 is really worth bothering with, instead just use
Mozilla 1.0+ in OS X (forget Netscape 7, you'll just have to put up with
a lot of advertising, Mozilla is easier to get along with).

OmniWeb was mentioned, its standards support is buggy and thus not so
popular with designers on evolt, but on the OS X lists I read there are
many users that swear by OmniWeb - just goes to show that end user
experience is important than web standards to end users! It'd be wise to
check your pages just so you can be prepared for a few complaints.

Similarly iCab has a cultish following despite its flaws (of which poor
'modern' standards support is only one). You'll probaly get a few
visitors with that too.

Opera probaly has a small number of users too, and is AFAIk different
from the pc version.

As has already been said IE5 is a must for mac testing.

Adrian