[thelist] XHTML Frames Question

Hershel Robinson hershelr at netvision.net.il
Thu Aug 22 12:51:01 CDT 2002

Some joker named Robinson put up the post below earlier today.  I didn't see
any answers to it.  Can anyone help this poor guy?

> I had an HTML page with 2 frames.  The top one does not
> scroll vertically
> but the bottom does.  Each page when viewed alone in IE 6.0
> does not scroll
> horizontally--i.e. each page fits into the browser very
> nicely.  When viewed
> together in one framed page, each frame still does not scroll
> horizontally.
>
> I have now converted this page to XHTML 1.0 Transitional.
> Still, each page
> when viewed alone in IE 6.0 does not have a horizontal scroll
> bar.  When
> viewed together, however, the bottom frame does scroll
> horizontally.  The
> amount it scrolls appears to be (I didn't actually measure)
> exactly the
> width of the vertical scroll bar.  I am guessing that what is
> happening is
> that the top frame has let's say 780 pixels width; so the
> browser thinks
> that that is the width it should use to display the bottom
> frame as well.
> The bottom frame, however, has a vertical scroll bar of let's
> say 10 pixels.
> So the viewing area is of course only 770 pixels.  Thus the need for a
> horizontal scroll bar to view those extra 10 pixels.
>
> Changing the width of the browser does not affect the
> horizontal scroll
> bar--i.e. it always remains.  This site supports only IE 6.0
> so I am not
> really interested how the page looks on anything else.
>
> Anyone have any ideas as to whether I am correct and as to
> what I can do to
> remove this horizontal scroll bar--it looks terrible. :(

PS: My only solution at this point is to remove the XHTML header from the
lower frame--from the 30-odd pages that go there, that is.  It removes the
scroll bar problem but changes the look of the page a bit.  It looks better
with the header.