[thelist] roadblocks to ditching tables

Ken Kogler ken.kogler at curf.edu
Sat Aug 24 20:19:01 CDT 2002

Trying my first XHTML/CSS table-less site:

  http://www.kenkogler.com/evolt/

A few problems:

1) The content div (the one with 'lorem ipsum' in it) sometimes doesn't
display all 4 paragraphs... I've heard that this may be an IE6 bug, but
I'm looking for confirmation of that.

2) The checkbox next to "new windows" -- I tried adding "padding-bottom:
10px;" to the style declaration, but I can't force the text to wrap the
way I want it to. I don't want it to wrap underneath the checkbox.

3) If the content doesn't exceed the length of the right panel, it gets
all funky. See <http://www.kenkogler.com/evolt/indexWhoops.asp> for an
example. How can I prevent this? (It was so much easier using table
cells!)

4) I've got a gap in my border, and I don't know why -- see
http://www.kenkogler.com/evolt/gaps.gif for a screenshot. This is only
happening in IE6 AFAICT.

5) If the width of an element exceeds the width of it's parent div, then
the whole layout blows up. See
<http://www.kenkogler.com/evolt/indexBroken.asp> for a screenshot.

6) There may be more... *sigh* (But I'm having fun still! :)

--Ken