[thelist] CSS Layouts

Kevin Martin evolt at brasscannon.net
Mon Aug 26 13:38:01 CDT 2002

Wow, this came along just as I was girding my loins to try to something
very similar.  I now have a "centrebox, leftcol, and rightcol"
arrangement, plus an alternate "sidebar" class where I can add marginal
comments to the area on the left.  (I plan to go back and add a credit
comment for that CSS before I turn it live!)

One odd thing, though; I played around with the static, absolute, and
relative positioning but I can't get the "leftcol" color to go all the
way to the bottom of the page without explicitly adding content, such
as extra empty "sidebar" div's.  (I imagine that positioning those
sidebars on my other pages will become a maintenance nightmare, but
one step at a time....)

I had a brainstorm: give the centrebox a background image (a 1-pixel tall
GIF with some color on the left) and then make the bgcolor for leftcol the
same color and width.  But no, it seems that once I run out of leftcol
content, the rightcol just keeps going and sort of pokes right out the
bottom of the centrebox.

I've got a sample up with the css inlined so it's visible to "show
source."  Comments solicited:

	http://brasscannon.net/test.html

TIA!
Kevin "digger" Martin - evolt at brasscannon.net