[thelist] Flash ActionScript dilema

Tom Madden evolt2 at quix.co.uk
Tue Aug 27 02:36:01 CDT 2002

>Oops, I forgot to mention that we are making this HTTP call to another
>server, we do not care what the server responds with. We simply want the
>Flash movie to make the call without "disrupting" the current page the
>SWF is being called within (or launch another window for that matter).

I've handled this in the past by using Frames in the html page, a bottom
frame with no content is set as the target for the getURL and since it is 0
or 1 pixel high, you can't see anything happen.

I also sometimes increase the height for testing purposes and have the
server send back some debugging information.

Another alternative is to call a script on your own server and use a server
side redirect to call the other server

--

Tom Madden

* Macromedia Certified Flash Developer
* Macromedia Certified Dreamweaver Developer
* Adobe Certified Expert ­ Photoshop
* Adobe Certified Expert ­ Illustrator

Tom Madden
Quix Ltd