[thelist] General Coding Guidelines

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 28 15:23:16 CDT 2002

> From: Ken Kogler <ken.kogler at curf.edu>
[...]
> Are there any websites that publish, in one convienent place, a list
> of generally accepted coding guidelines? He specifically mentioned
> that he never knew (until I told him) that <strong> and <em> should be
> used instead of <b> and <i>.
>
> What I'm basically looking for is something, like the results page of
> the W3C's validator, that will tell him the general coding guidelines
> (HTML, not XHTML) without having to learn via trial-and-error by
> running everything through the validator.
[....]

those are generally reserved, IME, for organizations to draft on their
own.. sort of a standards document or style guide for HTML... we
have one here that i maintain on our intranet (and people even print -
- imagine that)... it goes over everything from tag case and
indentation to document structure and preferred tags... it even has
cut-n-paste-ready blocks of code for things like the DTD through to
the <body> tag of a page...

i suspect now would be a great time to decide, as an organization,
what your standards will be and codify them...

using other peoples' is a good start, but make sure you're all in
agreement on that...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself