[thelist] loopy URLs produced by search engines

Shashank Tripathi sub at shanx.com
Wed Aug 28 18:24:01 CDT 2002

Hi,

    | and I too like Ht:dig, but that doesn't do highlighting!
    | although it might with some assistance from PHP

Htdig does do highlighting. Perhaps a new feature in the recent
versions? In fact, it does intelligent highlighting. It shows the part
of the text with the word you looked for with the search word emboldened
(and you can change this highlight in htdif.conf to be something other
than just plain bold), but if the search word is contained inside a
link, or inside anchors ("<a name=top>" etc) then it shows up in the
search results as that link.

An example in action:
http://snipurl.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?words=shortcut

I searched for the word "shortcut"...notice the highlights + linked
highlights.

Sorry if I sound like I am plugging htdig, I am honestly pretty
impressed with the engine -- I held off from it forever because it
requires me to compile (gcc on linux) etc but all that is a breeze if
you keep the documentation at hand and follow it to a T. Takes 10 mins.

Cheers,
Shashank

Shashank Tripathi
www.shanx.com