[thelist] loopy URLs produced by search engines

Dunstan Orchard dunstan at 1976design.com
Thu Aug 29 07:21:00 CDT 2002

>     | heres a free search engine for your site that does
>     | highlight words. http://www.fluffy.co.uk/fs/
>
> Another good script is www.kscripts.com 's ksearch.
>
> Meanwhile, HTDIG is one of my favorites

ah, people seem to have mis-understood what I meant by highlighting the search
terms.

The search engines people have mentioned here highlight the search terms in
the 'results' page. What Jakob's search engine does is highlight the search
terms in the _actual_ pages as well - so when you've clicked through to the
content and start reading the article, you can see exactly where your search
terms appear in the text.

Personally I use: http://www.xav.com/scripts/search/

It's easy as pie to install; you can run multiple domains in it; it lets you
present advertising when certain search terms are entered (so if people search
for xhtml you can provide the results along with an advert for your latest
xhtml book); you can weight certain words to have more impact than others; it
keeps excellent records of search histories and presents them in a great way
for you to view; it has an excellent admin interface... it's quite nice really.

The only down side is that it's got shed-loads of files and customising it can
be a bit of a pain... you have to jump around a lot between them.

cheers - dunstan