[thelist] Browser Stats

Michael Kimsal michael at tapinternet.com
Thu Aug 29 07:38:01 CDT 2002

DESCHAMPS Stéphane DvSI/SICoR wrote:

> [...]
I am guilty of mixing the original thread with (sigh) my own
experiences.  If
the browsers were put out more than 2 years ago, I consider them
'outdated'.
If things work with them, great, but you shouldn't expect the experience
to be as robust visually as more recent browsers.  Advances in CSS
rendering
and speed are just two changes which make 'recent' browser more usable.

The people I know who aren't using IE who do not use 'recent' browsers
*generally* are Linux users who won't get out of Netscape 4.6 or 4.7 mode.
They are mired in this attitude of  'everything should render perfectly
under NS4.6 because it's what I use'.  Nevermind that Netscape themselves
consider it 'old' and I dare say 'unsupported'.  No doubt there are people
using IE3 - I consider them 'out of date' as well and will never take any
positive steps to ensure them a pleasant web experience.  If a site
*works* in IE3 - fine.  If not, too bad.

MS nearly forces the 'keeping up to date' aspect of IE with it's inclusion
with so many other programs.  Any Office install will bring your browser
up to moderately recent standards, and the 'windows update' function
is now accessible on a majority of systems.  In stats of a client we did
work
for, more people used WebTV than NS3.