[thelist] INTRANET: writing hyperlinks?

Janet Green JGreen at desmoinesmetro.com
Thu Aug 29 10:07:00 CDT 2002

>>>The file protocol suggestions are technically correct, but I don't
believe that'll scale well, support remote access, support alternate
devices (PDAs, etc.) -- all issues you should consider now before
you have a "legacy" back end in place that inhibits development of
new features.<<<

Regarding that legacy back-end (I love that phrase!) - I'm not afraid
to ditch it and start over if future demand for features warrants it -
basically at this point I'm just putting up a website linking employees
to various "documents of interest" for quick/easy reference. I've learned
that this particular group of folks doesn't really "brainstorm" well with
a blank slate - they always need something in front of them to start with,
even if it's wrong.

Now having said that - ok, we have several folks who use PDA's - I am not
one of them, however, so I have no idea what they might conceivably ask for
in the future. What kinds of things would they need to do with their PDA's
that could be done via an intranet? (They are already syncing their calendars,
both from home and from the office - that's the only thing I know of off-hand.)

>>>.. what's the aversion to putting these files on a Web server? In the long
term I'd think that would be your best course...<<<

Not so much an aversion as it was trying to save 2 steps - as a one-person
shop with three websites to maintain and grow, I was thinking if I could link
directly to the document, that would others of having to notify me of changes,
and then me going out and moving the new version over to the webserver. As noted
in my other post, though, I found a really GOOD reason why that's *exactly* what
I should be doing. :) I need an assistant, bad!

J.