[thelist] SMS ing from an intranet ?

Terry Clark tclark at mbiinternational.com
Thu Aug 29 10:37:01 CDT 2002

Hi

Trying to come up with some "killer apps" to entice people onto our
newly created intranet and would like to try and combine a SMS service
with a contact database (Active Directory really) already in operation.
After a brief look I came across ASP2SMS http://www.asp2sms.com/
(everything here is running on MS products and the intranet is powered
by MS's Content Management Server)

It seems that all you need is their software component and a GSM modem
plugged into your server. Yet something is telling me I'm missing
something , it surely could not be that easy, could it?

Has anyone had any experience in setting up an SMS service, if so what
are they not telling me , are there any other little catches e.g. do you
have to sign up to some network and then pay an ongoing per message fee?

TIA

Terry