[thelist] Is This A Copyright Violation?

Janet Green JGreen at desmoinesmetro.com
Thu Aug 29 14:24:01 CDT 2002

You'd need a copyright lawyer to determine legally whether this is copyright violation, but it's very odd to me from a marketing perspective that they would present the same data in the same way and think that it says the same thing about THEM that it says about you. So that's the angle I would attack first, by having someone in your company who has a decent relationship with a counterpart over at the competitor's office call and say, "listen Bob, it doesn't look too good that you took this data right off our site, structure and all... I'd think you would want to present that data in a way that specifically benefits you or makes you look good. If you don't remove it, we'll probably put up a message on our site that says you took it verbatim because you couldn't think of a way that your company is strategically different from ours."

If they don't respond intelligently (meaning, they don't take it down) then yes, I do think a letter from a lawyer would at least create the illusion that you're taking it seriously, assuming the data in the table is high-priority stuff and worth the expense.

Janet