[thelist] configuring a subdomain

noah noah at tookish.net
Thu Aug 29 20:13:01 CDT 2002

At 08:30 PM 29/08/2002, Anthony Baratta wrote:
>EXTREF is for external references
>so that the name can point to a non-local server.

It is non-local, so I guess it's working right. This just a hobby site, so
the DNS is being handled by granitecanyon.com.

>Here a full copy of one of my DNS Templates (BIND v8):
>[Yeah I should be using CNAMES but I don't host but a few things.]

My original inclination was to use a CNAME to set up the subdomain (i.e.,
"subdomain IN CNAME foo.com."). Would this have worked as well?

Here's what my entire zone file looks like now:

**********
foo.com. IN NS ns1.granitecanyon.com.
foo.com. IN NS ns2.granitecanyon.com.
foo.com. IN NS ns1.secondary.com.
foo.com. IN NS ns2.secondary.com.

foo.com. IN RP admin.foo.net. admin.foo.com.

admin.foo.com. IN TXT "Yadda yadda"

localhost.foo.com. IN A 127.0.0.1
foo.com. IN A 209.203.234.83; EXTREF
subdomain IN A 209.203.234.83; EXTREF