[thelist] Site Test (XHTML 1.0 Strict)

Tim Parkin tim at pollenation.net
Wed Sep 4 07:10:01 CDT 2002

Jay Blanchard Wrote :-
[snip]
 >When I arrived at the site the text size was too small, so I enlarged
the
 >font. The problem is that only the body text and right side box text
 >increased in size ... not the navigation text size. Made the nav text
hard
 >to read and use, especially since the expanded items for any given
primary
 >item were normal text, making it less readable.
[/snip]
Fixed.. I was unsure About it at first and obviously forgot to change
it.

[snip]
 >The color of the nav items
 >appears washed out against the background, and combining that with
size
 >makes the nav items less readable. The body and right box text also
suffer
 >from color problems at higher resolutions, appearing washed out.
[/snip]
I'm gathering feedback on the colours but I personally wanted it to be
v.light but perhaps this is too light..

[snip]
 >Also, glueing the structure to the left side of the browser (instead
of
 >using a liquid layout) was distracting. There seems to be a lot of
layout
 >control exercized by using tables instead of CSS.
[/snip]
When you say distracting, can you explain in what way? Is it because
you're used to fluid designs or centred designs? Personally when I'm
browsing I like to be able to resize my window in one go instead of
trying to guess what width the content will be when it's recentred.
Personal preferences apart I'd like your feedback. As far as tables are
concerned, I wanted to have quite strong deisgn control and having
worked on major CSS only projects I know that I couldn't have achieved
what I wanted to do with the site (including future plans) with a CSS
only design.

[snip]
 >The design is quite attractive, I especially loved the pictures used.
 >Where did you get them? Are those types of pics available from an
 >image site? I am looking for some like that for a presentation
 >that I am doing.
[/snip]
the pictures have been gathered from all over, print and web. It
probably took me about 3 days to collect them all and another day to
hand colour and frame them but I think it's worth it for the
distinctiveness. There are various free image sites around but I found
the content of most somewhat lacking (There was one that's linked from
Zeldman's site that I quite like).

[snip]HTH![/snip]

indeed it does, thank you very much!!

Tim