[thelist] php mail problem... someone please shoot me!

Robert Goodyear rob_goodyear at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 9 01:48:00 CDT 2002

--- Pablo Oliva <poliva at cox.net> wrote:
> Here is my error:
> Warning: Failed to Connect in
> c:\apache\htdocs\jotr\scripts\processcompsignup.php
> on line 43 NOT Sent

I'll bet it's an authentication issue with your SMTP
server. Does it use IP filtering, POP Authentication
or Password Authentication? You might need to
authenticate yourself (by some means other than just
FROM: address) before triggering the send event.

I would suggest TELNETing to port 25 on localhost and
playing around with the SMTP commands to see what it
allows. That way you can get realtime feedback on the
problem.

You do it like this:

TELNET 127.0.0.1 25
HELO
Mail From:poliva at cox.net
Rcpt To:poliva at cox.net
DATA
Subject: Test
Blah blah blah blah

.

(That's: CR dot CR to end the data stream) After which
you should see either an acknowledgement or denial and
perhaps a verbose reason for the failure.

Give it a whirl. Hope it sheds some light on the
problem.

/rg