[thelist] Please help me kill MySQL on my iBook (before it kills me)

Mark Howells webdev at mountain.ch
Mon Sep 9 05:51:01 CDT 2002

>> I don't know about OS X but on FreeBSD you can do kill <pid> pid being
>> the
>> process id, as im sure you know, from the command line and it will
>> kill the
>> process. have you tried that?
>
> The problem I'm up against there is that I can't get the process id
> from the command line, as I get the error message "Access denied for
> user '@localhost' to database DATABASENAME".

OK; further information. Using chapter 4.3.4 from the online MySQL
manual, I'm trying to access mysql using the following command;

mysql -u root -p mysql

which then asks me for the root password. I know that I'm using the
correct username and password combination for the root user, but still
get the message

Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: YES)

This would indicate that the root user has no rights to access the
database.

Any more ideas?

Thanks and regards
Mark Howells