[nospam] [thelist] Dreamweaver MX, .csv files, databases et errata

Chris Cothrun cothrun at ix.netcom.com
Tue Sep 10 01:20:01 CDT 2002

On 9 Sep 2002 , <unruly mongrel <thelist at lists.evolt.org>>
wrote:
...snip...
> 1.  Do I really have to learn all those new languages &
> programs? (I want to, but again, this is a "right now" job)

Probably not.

> 2.
>  Can anyone point me in the right direction on HOW to get form
> data to convert into .csv files (i've been searching and can't
> find documentation anywhere online)?

The most common solution I've seen is Matt's Formmail script
that emails the form fields to someone (note you should use
the secure version found at http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/
as Matt's version is susceptible to spam attacks). In your
situation I might start by trying to modify the Formmail
script to append the submitted values to a .csv file, this
should be incredibly easy to do if you have the least bit of
familiarity with perl.

Even better, I always figure that someone has already done
what I'm trying to do and in this case, they have. A search
on freshmeat.net shows a shareware script
(http://www.inshift.com/csvMail.html) that  appeats to do
what you want. A search at hotscripts.com finds a free
(http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/9437.html) script
(http://www.mycgiscripts.com/csvman.html) that might work.

I'm assuming you're looking for a Perl solution, there are
probably PHP and ASP solutions as well as something for most
other server technologies out there.

> 3.  At what point does
> having a SQL-type database, intranet system become worthwhile,
> instead of handling everything via paper trail, cgi/Perl and
> Excel, and dichotomous, conflicting records?  I don't want to
> push these people into advanced training and technology if
> they don't need it.

In your case, depends on the volume of form submitions and
how much computing can/has to be done on the data. And you've
already mentioned the human factor, some people would jump
all over a hugely automated system, others would be happiest
if they recieved a fax with each form submission. It sounds
like you're somewhere in between.

> Forgive my ignorance, for those more knowledgeable.  I bow in
> humble awestruckness before your hardcore coding abilities.
In my case, simple searching capabilities :)

HTH
Chris