[thelist] including html dilemma

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil
Tue Sep 10 13:07:00 CDT 2002

>Do I have good reason to feel dirty about putting all of this code into a
>document.write?

Colin,

Because our sites are spread across at least two separate LANs and multiple
domains, for about two years now I've implemented a global toolbar written
entirely in Javascript. If I recall correctly, Microsoft does the same (much
more complex though) for their global toolbar, masthead, and site toolbar,
all at the top of each page. All Javascript, or at least I think it used to
be all Javascript.

Basically you are creating a client-side include. Now have a server-side
script generate it and set the MIME as "application/x-javascript" (or
whatever the correct one is, can't recall) and then you've got conditional
SSI over the internet! :D

-dave