[thelist] SQL record filtering

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Wed Sep 11 08:22:01 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: <dn at dittodesign.co.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 7:14 AM

> Hi all,
> Could somebody point me in the right direction with this one please.
>
> I'm working on a site at the moment that requires I pass variables over
> a number of pages to filter a recordset on the final page depending on
> the variable choices over the previous pages. Simple. ASP and Ultradev
> by the way.

Which database?

> As simply as I can put it. I'm filtering down to 'Category' on the final
> page. However Category could have up to six different product types.
> I want to show just one record from each of these product types.
> Rather than the whole lot in that Category. Clicking on that product type
> then brings up the associated products.

Defining the business rules will help here.  How do you decide which of the
products within a product type is appropriate to display on this page?
Without that business logic established, this problem is really not
correctly solvable.  With that information, and the database employed, I
think we'll be able to come up with a good solution.

-joshua