[thelist] "email to a friend" link

Chris Blessing webguy at mail.rit.edu
Wed Sep 11 14:15:01 CDT 2002

Matt, I set something up exactly like this using some simple ASP pages.  The
link itself ("Send this page to a friend") contains the URL to be sent (the
current page URL, found in ASP with request.servervariables("url")) like
such:

<%
dim theURL
theURL = request.servervariables("url")
%>

<A HREF="/sendToFriend.asp?link=<% = server.urlencode(theURL) %>">Send this
page</A>

On sendToFriend.asp, there's a simple form which posts back to
sendToFriend.asp with the sender's name, email and comments, and the
recipients name and email (and of course the URL to be sent, in a hidden
field).  All that info goes into a database table before being mailed.  Then
I compose a simple mail message (we use ASPMail) and it gets shipped off and
they get a success message, yada yada.  Pretty standard stuff.

HTH!

Chris Blessing
webguy at mail.rit.edu
http://www.330i.net