[thelist] js problem

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 13 15:33:02 CDT 2002

I'm trying to set focus to a field using a mixture of a global script
and a local script. The local page script has this:

var focusField = document.getElementById("lastname");
(i've tried it with or without the var)

The global script (for all pages) has this function:

function defaultFocus()
{
focusField.focus();
}

I keep getting a null exception. If I alert the
document.getElementById("lastname"); I DO get an object reference. It
is for sure there. What am I missing thats obvious, I can't think of
why this won't work?!

Tom

=====
var me = tom.pixelmech.webDeveloper();