[thelist] doorway pages

Philip Warbasse info at warbassedesign.com
Mon Sep 16 09:31:00 CDT 2002

Neal wrote:  Yet they are having problems with search engines registering
their pages obviously anybody have any suggestions on having there pages
rated higher in search engines

Hi Neal,

A few thoughts on your post.

1.) Doorway pages are not the greatest way to deal with your problem because
they can make matters worse if not used the way the search engine
wants...and each engine is setup different.  There is a very fine line
between doorway pages and spam.  Each search engine has its own way of
determining this. Meta-refresh tags in doorway pages will almost always work
against you.  If you decide to use doorway pages use a VB script, javascript
or some other server side code to process the redirect.

2.) As for framesets,  there are a few things you can do to maintain some
control re: search engine placement.  First, add your meta tags and a title
to your frameset...just like any other page.  Second, be sure to use the NO
FRAMES tag on your frameset pages.  Third, to keep people from pulling up
pages out of the frameset use this script on each page
<Script language="JavaScript">
<!--
if (top == self) self.location.href="Frameset file here";
//-->
</Script>
This automatically loads the whole frameset to keep your site intact.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,
Philip Warbasse
www.warbassedesign.com