[thelist] HTML <form maxLength=?/>

Rob Smith rob.smith at THERMON.com
Mon Sep 16 14:12:01 CDT 2002

Let me start over. (Chris, a static page can be found at
http://www.thermon.com/jb/counties.asp)

This information does not change my problem. Page A, lists all the states
(Abbreviated) in a check box fashion:

X  X  X  X  X
X  X  X  X  X
X  X  X  X  X
X  X  X  X  X
X  X  X  X  X
X  X  X  X  X
X  X  X  X  X
X  X  X  X  X
X  X  X  X  X
X  X  X  X  X

The User selects, or the web app selects for them, any number of states.
(i.e. IA, IL, IN, NE, NY, OH, SD). This information is passed to page via
GET. Page B, an .asp page, uses these 7 or so:
../counties.asp?IA=IA&IL=IL&IN=IN&NE=NE&NY=NY&OH=OH&SD=SD&Submit=Next+%3E
(101 characters total length) to grab all the associated counties for those
states. While its spitting out counties, it will check or not check
particular counties based upon information in a database (see example in
above link). This is where the form freezes. You'll notice that the page
does not advance and the "Next >" button just sits there when you press it
when in fact does do something.

Rob

[snip]
I've been working with the page all day long and it
hasn't barfed on me yet until a really large number of counties were brought
in. Then it had spasm and died.
[/snip]

Which means that (since this is a GET) that all of those items were passed
via the URL. The page that processes will actually load, just with an
incomplete set of criteria for the query, that is why it barfs. Have you
counted the length of the URL?

JTTH! Peace ...

Jay