[thelist] transferring "ownership" of a domain

Nan Smith nansmith at heritageconcord.org
Mon Sep 16 17:37:01 CDT 2002

What is supposed to happen is that you request the domain
name transfer from NetSol which is now VeriSign, and they
send an email to the person whose email address was listed
(as the registrant, I think) to verify that this is on the
up and up. There are directions for what to do in the
email, I think you have to go to a page on their website
and click on something to give your approval, and then
everything should be fine and dandy.
<bold>BUT<BOLD />
<sarcasm>maybe you can tell that I mean this is a huge
BUT<sarcasm />
The DN transfers with VeriSign do not usually go as
planned. I have literally spent weeks just trying to do a
simple DN transfer, they put obstacles in my path at every
turn. It was like they were trying to make it so
difficult, you would drop it and just leave your domain
there. In retrospect, it was comical it was so bad.
I hope none of this happens, but it would be better if you
assumed it was going to be a pain to do and make sure you
charge for your time, or let someone else handle it. I
won't go into the long and boring saga of my experience,
but it took me 6 weeks to get this done with one of my
websites, and naturally, it is a non-profit which I do for
free.
Don't ever use NetSol/Verisign if you can help it.
Nan