[thelist] Windows Editor with CVS support

Sam sam at sam-i-am.com
Tue Sep 17 09:46:01 CDT 2002

I have a few scripts I've written to integrate with Homesite (now by
Macromedia) that do this *kind* of thing.
You can write an active script (js) and associate it with the keyboard
shortcut CTRL + SHIFT + S, that throws up a dialog and gets user input
(in this case it would be the commit comment), invokes a perl script
passing in current filename and your comment as arguments, which in turn
looks up your CVS_ROOT,  checks for a CVS directory in the directory of
the pathname supplied, and attempts to commit the file.
It wouldn't be clean, or entirely trivial, but it's one approach. And as
perl (or perhaps you could use Windows Scripting Host and the language
of your choice, or write a java app-- whatever) is doing all the work,
all your editor needs is a way to invoke the script and pass in the
arguments. I think edit plus, ultraedit, PFE all have some kind of a
command line options, though they lack the dialogues and richer
scriptability of Homesite.
Dreamweaver is even more customisable and has a far richer set of
scripting and customisability support again, but then you have to work
in Dreamweaver to get access to them - which is not so happy (IMHO)

Anyway, if you don't find that editor, these might be some ideas. And
please let me (or the list) know if you do - I'm always looking out for
an uber-editor to replace Homesite (which I love, but has its quirks)

hth
Sam