[thelist] OT: wireless web access (urgent help needed)

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Tue Sep 17 12:46:01 CDT 2002

hi.

sorry to beg attention for this email, but i really do need help, and
quickly if possible.

we've got a new employee that is going to be working offsite 95% of the
time and he needs to internet access and much as possible. so the idea
came up of having wireless access, but i have no idea where to even
start to look for that and what hardware is needed to access a wireless
network.

please if you can, answer a few questions for me.

1. what hardware is needed?
2. is this what 802.11 is?
3. what service providers are there? how does accessing the internet
work?
4. is VPN possible? (i'm going to take a guess and say no, but i just
thought i'd ask.)

alternatively, if you know of a good way for an employee to remotely get
email anytime they need it, wherever they are, please let me know.

thanks a lot!

chris.

p.s. 1 tip(s) owed.