[thelist] Re: why won't my page work in NS 4.77?

colin bocmaxima at wtez.net
Fri Sep 20 12:50:01 CDT 2002

Thanks for the reply,

> Looking at your code, the first thing I notice is all the nested
> tables...  Netscape 4.x *hates* nested tables, more than 2-deep and
> you're in big trouble.  (and I can see sections that seem to go 4- or
> 5-deep..)

That's kinda sorta what I thought was wrong. I remember when first designing
it that making the "Text Only" text and not part of the image caused most of
the extra tables. I guess I'll just have to rework the whole bloody thing.

> Also within your fnChange() function, you've not allowed for NS4.x's
> DOM...  (although maybe that's been removed cos you're redirecting these
> users anyway?)  but doc.getElementById & doc.all won't work in NS4.x

There is one script that changes style:color of a span through its id. Since
NS 4.x can't handle this, I just didn't bother with it. I think I wrote this
in the comments, but I might have removed it. That script is the fnChange()
I believe.

> The page looks lovely in Netscape 6.2 & Mozilla though...  maybe you
> should change your "best viewed in IE..." to include these?

Thank you. I'd rather they use IE 5.5 because of other issues throughout the
site.

Thanks for your help, Karen.

colin