[thelist] Java: basic help?

Joel Stevenson joelstevenson at mac.com
Fri Sep 20 15:16:01 CDT 2002

>Layydeees aaand gentlemen! I present you with the output of
>my very first bit of Java
>
>"Hello, World"

Great!

>Success! That was the trick! I really appreciate the help.
>I've always found this part of the learning curve the most
>frustrating- that of learning the ground rules. Thanks guys!

Indeed, the first steps are often the most confusing.

I'll 'tip' it since it doesn't seem to be in the db yet.

<tip type="Java" author="meretal">
Put the current working directory (denoted by a . (period) in
Windows/DOS and *nix systems) in your CLASSPATH environment variable
to speed up Java development.  This allows you to execute the java
runtime from directory ABC or XYZ without having to have directory
ABC or XYZ explicitly added to the CLASSPATH variable or given on the
command line.
</tip>