[thelist] The Web's future: XHTML 2.0

Lachlan Cannon luminosity at members.evolt.org
Sat Sep 21 21:35:01 CDT 2002

Joshua Olson wrote:
>>What a nonsense. BR (and WBR, too, for that matter) cannot be expressed
>
> with
>
>>CSS: there must be a marker in the HTML to show where the break is.
>

> I agree.  Some artists and authors actually use the line break as part of
> the art of the word play.  Line breaks are as much part of the content in
> some cases as the words themselves.

I agree about the br thing, but there are a few nice things there too.
Being able to type <abbr title="PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor"
href="http://php.net">PHP</abbr> as opposed to <a
href="http://php.net"><abbr title="PHP: Hypertext
Preprocessor">PHP</abbr></a>. Mind you I'd prefer x-links rather than
continuing down the html links path. (As I have said to the working group).

Frames I don't are about .. frames suck.

More powerful forms will be interesting, especially mixed up with SVG.

And apart from anything else the new <section> and <h> elements will
finally be able to stop Rudy and Adrian arguing about the correct
nesting of headings. :P
--
Lach
Web: http://illuminosity.net/