[thelist] Help with app. logic

Susan Wallace susanhw at webcastle.com
Mon Sep 23 09:48:13 CDT 2002

Greetings!

I am working on a project for a membership organization that has some
"special" requirements as far as membership renewal and receiving
publications. This is making my brain hurt, I am hoping that a fresh set of
eyes can help me with this.

I am using Cold Fusion to build this, however I don't think that's pertinent.

The expiration/renewal dates are based on a quarter, but it's not a
calendar quarter, it's based on their own date defined quarter divisions.
(i.e. Q1 is Mar 01 - May 31)

Each quarter has its own Journal associated with it:
Q1: Journal B
Q2: Journal C
Q3: Journal D
Q4: Journal A

If I sign up today as a new member, since the current date is Sept. 18, it
falls within Q3 (Sept 1 - Nov 30). Over the course of my membership, I
would receive Journal D, A, B, C and then expire on 12/1

If I come back in February of 2004 and renew my membership, I will have
missed Journal D because I did not renew on time.

If I renewed in Feb 2004, I would need to receive Journal D (a "back
issue") and then A, B, C, and my expiration date stays 12/1

If I renewed in May 2004, I would need to receive Journal D and A as back
issues, and my expiration date stays 12/1

The problem I am having is how to use code to go about determining what
back issues to send someone.

I have this one page that actually doesn't take too long to process, but it
determines the current date, the current quarter, and determines the
Expiration date as one of the following:
3/1
6/1
9/1
12/1

The year is not important here because if they expired 3 years ago on 3/1,
their exp date stays 3/1, but they only receive back issues for this year,
not the last 3.

So if I evaluate the current date and quarter, how do I go about
determining the back issues?

I am I just dense and missing something obvious?

This is where I start to ramble and make the "deer caught in headlights"
look..

Suggestions?

Thanks VERY much for the help!
Susan

Since this may be considered OT, here is a Tip:

<tip type="Online Music Services - Rhapsody">
If you are thinking about an online music subscription, consider looking at
Rhapsody, presented by Listen.com. The catalog is extensive, the quality is
high. There is a free trial available.
Cool things:
The catalog is very extensive, showing information for items available on
the service and those not available. Good for researching obscure stuff.

If you are listening to the radio stations, and a song comes up that you
don't like, you can skip it. :)

Not so cool:
The application stores all of the things that you play in a "cache" on your
hard drive, and does not provide documentation about how to prevent that.

CD Burning is not (yet) available.
</tip>