[thelist] css "transparency"

Frank framar at interlog.com
Wed Sep 25 18:25:01 CDT 2002

On Wednesday, September 25, 2002, 6:36:23 PM, you said:
C> actually... i think the word you're looking for is "checkerboard" or
C> something along those lines.

C> please correct me if i'm wrong, (i'd rather know the truth) but i think
C> dither is a technique by which two colors can be used to create the
C> illusion of multiple shades of the two colors.

C> in this case a checkerboard pattern of opaque and transparent white
C> pixels were used to create a dithered effect when layed on top of the
C> background.

We're both right from a different point of view. You are
100% correct when you say that dithering consists of
staggering different colour values to produce the illusion
of another. Technically, (I think), transparent *is* a
colour value, it's the colour "null" (for lack of a better
phrase).

Mind you, I can't see the background image at all, and might
be completely off-base. My response was based on the data
provided in the earlier post. I still think that "Dither" is
the correct term.

Looking forward to a third party that could confirm/deny/add
to the debate.

--
A whisper's breeze sways,
a shout's tempest breaks.