[thelist] Site Check Please

Ed McCarroll Ed at ComSimplicity.com
Thu Sep 26 23:58:01 CDT 2002

Aaron,

I like it.  It has a smooth look and feel.  (Can I steal your nav
buttons?)

Now the nit-picks:  (using Win2K, IE 6.0)

The banner-ad effect might be mitigated by making the "NMDG" a lot
more pronounced than the spoon and "your mother" slogan.  (An actual
picture of MY mother might also be nice. ;-)

The welcome message says a lot about the site you will someday have.
I'd get rid of any reference to future enhancements, and brag about
what's already there.

I wanted a larger font size, but was unable to change it.  I'm old,
and have trouble seeing fine fonts.

I did not understand the packages under Button / Banner Rates.
If your intended audience is more savvy about these things than
I am, then it's not a problem.  This area, and the Package Rates
area below it, might benefit from some actual examples.  I don't
think too many people have put a lot of thought into advertising
by the time they first start looking for a web developer.

Why does the Current Projects (plural) box offer one (singular)
project?  And why does that particular box persist on all pages?
(I would be more inclined to put my contact info in a templated
area like that.)  More importantly, the screenshot format leads
me to expect a link to the depicted Bid 4 Bargains page.

The OK Tires link on the Full Client List page is broken.  And all
of the URLs at the bottom of the page could probably be links.  And
again, I expected the thumbnail screenshots to be linked to the
depicted pages.

Your assertion that your competitors can't match your prices looks
a bit suspicious when I see you offering domain registration at
$35/year.

"... site are housed ..." should be "... sites are housed ..." under
Hosting on the Pricing page.

The contact page lists address and phone number for The Holland
Sentinel - (a newspaper?) but the phone number has no area code.
And if the Sentinel's phone number uses dashes why does Aaron
Pinkus' use dots?  And finally, why the heck doesn't Aaron have
an email address at NMDesignGroup.com?

When I first looked at the process page, the three numbered steps
looked somehow unrelated to the text that followed.  I think it was
the bordered, colored box around them that did that.  And I found
the paragraph numbers (particularly the leading zeros) distracting.
(Any fool can see there's three of 'em.)

Anyhow, those are my opinions;  I'm sure some very wise folks would
disagree completely.  I'd love to hear about your progress.