[thelist] Does anyone have any experience of .NET ?

darren darren at web-bitch.co.uk
Fri Sep 27 10:01:01 CDT 2002

On Friday, September 27, 2002 at 14:29, seb johnson wrote:

sj> My first impression of the visual studio .net IDE is that its Homesite
sj> on amphetamine! or may be that should be Dreamweaver if it 'does
sj> things' to you code !

the things vs does to your code are when switching between design and html
view - most of which are known issues that are being looked at.  all the
other formatting options can be disabled.  if you never touch design mode
then you're laughing!

sj> So it shouldn't matter which language I choose ?

nope.  the last training course i was on, the instructor reckoned that
learning .net is 80% the framework and 20% the language.

there are certain things that you can do in c# that you can't in vb and
vice versa.  any of the .net sites should be able to give you a pretty good
list of the differences.  performance of the languages is supposed to be
almost identical.

sj> Also if I'm reading http://www.go-mono.org/ the old mind set of
sj> 'Microsoft lock-in is Bad' might not be such an issue if eventually the
sj> projects produced with the .NET framework can run on a Linux CLR
sj> implementation as well ??

yep.  but (there had to be a but somewhere!), iirc vb is a microsoft
proprietary language, whereas c# is more open.  so there *may* be problems
getting vb compilers on other platforms...hopefully not!  there's also the
raptor project that's somewhere on the microsoft site which is ms + others
running the clr on freebsd.

sj> Following on from this does the fact that XML/web services is used in a
sj> big way with .NET mean that there is a higher compatibility with Java
sj> and any other language that has all of the XML parsing proceedures in
sj> place ?

i haven't really played with web services too much, but as long as whatever
you are using can send and receive standard soap then you have nothing to
worry about.  .nets support for web services seems to be excellent with
lots of info out there...took me all of 10 minutes to make use of the
dilbert web service to get the daily dilbert! ;>