[thelist] Font Size

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 27 18:09:01 CDT 2002

--- "Saila, Craig" <Craig.Saila at bgminteractive.com> wrote:
> True, and I may have unintentionally started one those debates
> about
> font sizes or accessibility (both of which are important issues,
> and
> whose implications I am I well aware of), and if I have I
> apologize,
> that's the last thing we need on a Friday.

heh..too late..here it is!

> What I was questioning was this line in Bertilo's message:
>
> > Except that you should never ever set the basic font size to
> anything
> > else than 100% or 1em.
>
> How is (based on a rule from many style sheets):
>  p, ul, dl, ol, blockquote { font-size: 80% }
> or
>  p, ul, dl, ol, blockquote { font-size: 120% }
>
> Better than:
>  body { font-size: 80%; }
> or
>  body { font-size: 120%; }

<snnnnip>

> I don't mean to come off gruff (it's been a long day) and I'm not
> intending to single anyone out, it's just frustrating to see more
> and
> more black and white responses to so many grey issues (e.g., tables
> v.
> CSS, HTML 4 v. XHTML, px v. percents, Kirk v. Picard).

Yeah..that's kind of where I sit too. I loooked at Bert's CSS, and
his way works fine. It scales fine in my browser. But, the way I do
it works the same way, and works fine. Neither is "better". Neither
is certainly "wrong".

The final factor for anyone should be testing...testing..testing for
your target audience. If you aren't testing you have no right to say
boo. If you are, and your solution works...you are good to go
regardless what anyone says. If you find something you think is
better..change it!

Tom

=====
var me = tom.pixelmech.webDeveloper();