[thelist] Font Size

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 27 18:40:01 CDT 2002

--- Bertilo Wennergren <bertilow at gmx.net> wrote:
> Tom Dell'Aringa:
>
> > --- Bertilo Wennergren <bertilow at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> >> Most of the practical problems you see with % and em are in
> >> Netscape 4, right?
>
> > Not necessarily. You always need to test on all browsers.
>
> It is impossible to test on all browsers.

Okay, now this is a regular riot! You must be one of those people who
tests on IE only. It is NOT impossible, in fact it is very EASY to do
so. People on this list and others will gladly check on versions you
do no have access to. For myself, I use a service of
www.netmechanic.com which I pay a yearly fee, which sends me
something like 16 snapshots in all different browsers and font sizes.
So, again, you are wrong.

> > And again, different mac and pc browsers show sizes differently.
>
> That is no problem. Web pages are supposed to display differently
> in
> different browsers. We'll just have to suppose that people like the
> way
> their browser displays font sizes.

I don't think anyone is arguing that point at all...only that not
everyone has set thier sizes.

> > As I said before, even PC IE5.5/IE6 has differences - especially
> with
> > windows XP.
>
> This is a problem only if you use layouts that depend on the sizes
> turning out in a certain strictly controlled way. Good design
> should
> work under various conditions.

Are you even reading these posts or are you just spouting off? The
whole idea of ems is to ALLOW a liquid design. You are now completely
off the track and making statement that don't even make sense to the
original argument, which was using ems in the body tag and for
scaling fonts - which is exactly what you want when you design for
various conditions!

Anyway for the original poster - Jean I think - you have lots to
think about now!

Tom

=====
var me = tom.pixelmech.webDeveloper();