[thelist] I've packed and moved.

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Fri Sep 27 22:09:01 CDT 2002

Daniel Medley <dm at lgcy.com> wrote:
> I've finally switched hosting services for my web site (see link
> below). My dial up is through a company called velocitus also with
> whom I used to have my site hosted. A couple of days ago I did the
> switch. So far, when I try to access the site via my velocitus dial
> up account I get a "cannot find server error". However, it appears to
> be accessible via any other account. I can access it through a proxy
> server as well. Is anyone else on this list able to access it? Could
> anyone have an idea of why it is not accessible via my dial up?

Hi Daniel,

i can access http://www.lobowalk.com just fine, too.  this is a common
problem that often happens to folks when they move their DNS away from
their own dialup ISP.  your ISP apparently has not removed the name
service (the record in their DNS servers) they had setup for your site.
this is usally an oversight on their part.

you could try emailing their tech support address and tell them that
their DNS servers are no longer "authoritative" for your domain (that
just means that you have updated your WHOIS record top point to
different DNS servers, elsewhere) and ask them to remove your domain
from their DNS servers.

it might be helful to send them a copy of the newly updated WHOIS
record:

whois lobowalk.com
    Registrant:
     Lobo Walk
     4615 S. Holladay Blvd
     Number 6
     Holladay, UT 84117
     US

     Domain Name: LOBOWALK.COM

     Administrative Contact:
        Medley, Daniel  dm at lgcy.com
        4615 S. Holladay Blvd #6
        Holladay, Ut. 84117
        US
        801-273-5764

     Technical Contact:
        Medley, Daniel  dm at lgcy.com
        4615 S. Holladay Blvd
        Number 6
        Holladay, UT 84117
        US
        801-273-5764

     Registration Service Provider:
        Velocitus, dns-admin at velocitus.net
        208-336-9200

     Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
     Record last updated on 26-Sep-2002.
     Record expires on 28-Aug-2003.
     Record Created on 28-Aug-2000.

     Domain servers in listed order:
        NS1.FASTNAMESERV.COM   66.186.207.1
        NS2.FASTNAMESERV.COM   64.38.111.2

if their nameserver is incorrectly advertising that it is still
authoritative for that domain name (as it sounds), this stale record
*will* continue to prevent anyone who is using their DNS servers (all
their dialup customers) from accessing your domain, until that record is
removed.

--dave