[thelist] Flash: Newbie Question

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Sun Sep 29 06:40:01 CDT 2002

>Is it possible to pass variables to Flash from parameters in
>the web page? [...] Or, as another example, could I get it to
>display a string that I've output in Cold Fusion?

Yes, simple. In both the embed and object tags, put a query string on
the .swf and the variables will be available to ActionScript, just as
the variables in the query string in a URL is available to ColdFusion.

hello.swf?display=Hello%20World

will give you the same thing as

_root.display = 'Hello World'

If you've got a ton of variables or really long strings, you might
want to think of using other methods likely described in Liam's link
... or maybe better, search for "variables" in MM's Flash tech notes.

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/