[thelist] anyone know a good (cough free cough) tool for making image backgrounds transparent?

Timothy J. Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Mon Sep 30 00:01:44 CDT 2002

Ok, well I've spent far too long on this and haven't gotten anywhere but
frustrated.

Does anyone know a good piece of software for Win32 (preferably free)
that makes it easy to take out the background of a picture (leaving it
transparent)?

I have a very special reason for doing this .... namely I've got a cute
picture of my kid I want to show off ;-)

After 2 hours I'm 90% of the way there but I just cannot get this
cleaned up any better and know that I'm missing something.

(Unfortunately I only have the LE version of Photoshop that came with my
digicam, and the wife will definitely NOT allow me to spent a month's
mortgage on the full version ;-)

http://tntluoma.com/temp/ethan.html

Any clues/tips appreciated.

TjL