[thelist] validation and .swf

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Mon Sep 30 13:42:09 CDT 2002

At 5:28 PM 9/29/2, Timothy Martens wrote:
> What's the deal with page validation and embedded .swfs? Is
> there DTD/markup combination that will validate?

To get W3C HTML 4.0 Strict Validation* you can shun the EMBED tag and just
use the OBJECT tag, but then realworld browsers won't validate it.

(Rephrased, OBJECT is the subsequent specification, but OBJECT and EMBED
remain the current realworld implementations.)

Personal recommendation: Consider strict validation to be an informative
tool, rather than a goal in itself. Keep OBJECT/EMBED for any type of
control/plugin content.

jd

(* Believe I got that set of qualifiers correct, but don't run it through
validation without checking.... ;-)

John Dowdell, Macromedia Developer Support, San Francisco
(Best to reply on-list, to avoid my mighty spam filters!)
Technotes: http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/
Column: http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/jd_forum/
Technical daily diary: http://jdmx.blogspot.com/