[thelist] checking for unclosed objects in ASP

Chris Blessing webguy at mail.rit.edu
Wed Oct 2 09:32:01 CDT 2002

> > Actually, the ASP engine should clean up any objects allocated
> on the page
> > when the response completes.
>
> Are you sure on that?  I thought that Response.End stopped the
> processing completely, not even cleaning up first, and just sent the
> current Response contents as is..?

I believe if you response.end the page, the objects may linger until either
the connections timeout (any db connections, for example, and
records/recordsets contained within) or the engine itself removes the
objects from memory.  Of course we all know how well this works... just look
at the amazing uptime of any Windows server!  We tend to get at most a month
out of ours... doh.  Then again we're talkin NT4/IIS4/ASP2 so that may make
a difference.  Anyhow, I digress, yes it will clean up after you to a
certain degree.

Chris Blessing
webguy at mail.rit.edu
http://www.330i.net