[thelist] Difference in time

wade wade at bayou.com
Wed Oct 2 12:39:01 CDT 2002

Hello all,

I am fighting a time issue(don't we all). I have a online poll set up. I

need a way to stop a person from
submitting more than once an hour. As of now I have the time .. mktime(
) .. being stored in a database along
with the users IP.

I want to be able to say if 1 hour has passed from the time .. mktime( )

.. that is stored in the db they can vote once again. This also has to
account that if someone goes to the poll tomorrow at the same time (same

hour) the script knows it's a different hour and different day.

Scenario: I submit to the poll at 12:00 PM, one hour from now will be
1:00 PM and I can submit again. Now lets
say it's 12:00 PM the next day. The database stored time will say 12:00
PM of the day before, It will not let me submit because it thinks that
it has to be at least 1:00 PM before I can submit again. Which is wrong.

I was trying to use the mktime( ) function but it keeps giving me these
results.(( 1033578795 )) The last few
numbers change but the first few (that as suppose to be the hour) does
not change?
mktime(int hour, int minute, int second, int month, int day, int year).
How can I use this mktime( ) function to do what I need it to? Am I
going in the wrong direction?

Thank you very much
Wade