[thelist] FW: MAC Addresses/Physical Address!

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Wed Oct 2 16:57:01 CDT 2002

/
> I have a client that wants to be able to uniquely identify a whole series of
> pc's they have which are spread around the country and connected to the
> internet and check a unique unalterable id against a central database so
> they can load appropriate updates etc. Basically it's to be part of a
> licensing system!

Uh, well. Possibly, MAC addresses aren't *quite* what you want. :-)
They *are* guaranteed unique from chip to chip, but unalterable? No.

For starters, see:

<http://packetstormsecurity.nl/papers/protocols/intro_to_arp_spoofing.pdf>

(See "Cloning", page 4). For more info, google["MAC address" spoof].

FWIW!
--
H*
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

     -- creating dynamic Web sites and applications since 1994 --