[thelist] UTF-8 vs ISO-8859-1

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Fri Oct 4 03:14:01 CDT 2002

Hi

can anyone point me to a resource that explains in laymens terms the
difference between the two character sets?

can anyone explain simply how it works and why it is important (apart
from getting past the validator)

If I create an html document on a windows machine and then declare it to
be <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
does it get changed by the server in some way when it is delivered?

What would I need to do to create documents using utf-8 as opposed to
iso-8859-1

TIA

Tony

--