[thelist] Font Sizes

Timothy J. Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Fri Oct 4 11:50:01 CDT 2002

Austin Govella wrote:

> Thankfully, many browser manufacturers allow you to resize text set in
> pixels, so pixels now offers the same functionality as relative sizing.

Yeah, many of them ..... except IE/Windows, which enjoys something like
90+% marketshare, including the bulk of the AOL users in the world who
are well known for not being the most technically adept folks.

Don't kid yourselves or mislead anyone else, pixels are not accessible.

They may give you lots of control over your design, but they are not
accessible.... they may be useful for a fall-back position or if you are
wanting to set LARGE sizes, but 12px is the smallest that I can read
comfortably even with my glasses, and my eyes are only 29.

Check out
http://tntluoma.com/css/tests/font-sizes2.html
with IE6/win and see what happens when you change the text size.

Of course Opera and Mozilla handle this fine.

TjL

--
30 Days to becoming an Opera Lover
                                        http://www.tntluoma.com/switch