[thelist] Aligning tables in Netscape

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Sat Oct 5 11:27:00 CDT 2002

On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 09:51:41PM +0800, Grace Teng wrote:
> In IE, you can use valign or topmargin to force information to the top of a
> table cell, right? However, in Navigator, the information remains centered
> in the cell.

I've never heard of a topmargin attribute for table data cells, perhaps it is
it Microsoft extendorubbish.

Netscape Navigator has supported the valign attribte for table data cells for
a long time. It is certainly supported in the 4.x series and the 6+ series,
some earlier versions probably support it, but I don't have access to them
to check.

If it isn't working then the odds are strongly in favour of there being
another error in your code which IE's error correction handles as you want
but NN's error correct treats differently. Try checking the code using
http://validator.w3.org/

> Here's the scenario. There's a table, two by two. In the top-left cell there
> s a logo, in the top right there's the page banner, in the bottom left cell
> there's the navigation and in the bottom right, there's content. This is
> quite a common layout or concept.

You could try something that is designed as a layout tool.
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

> For an example, look at http://trfc791.f2o.org/quiz.php in IE and Netscape.
> How can I force the navigation to move up in Netscape without affecting its
> appearance in IE? Please help!

Not Found
The requested URL /quiz.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use
an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--
David Dorward                                   http://david.us-lot.org/
HTML email is a bit like using coloured paper and glitter ink on a CV.