[thelist] css quirks in AOL?

Bob Haroche spambait at onpointsolutions.com
Tue Oct 8 12:02:01 CDT 2002

Works fine in AOL 7 (pc) just as it does in IE 6 (same Win2K machine). AOL
for the pc uses the IE rendering engine so someone with AOL 7 but IE 5
installed may see something different than me.

>Am thinking I'll need to
> create separate pages for NN4.7 anyway since my changeText function
doesn't
> seem to be working for that browser version - may just send those on AOL
> these pages as well. BUT... if there's a solution would prefer not to
create
> the separate pages.

Javascript detecting AOL (pc) is not reliable because the agent sometimes
identifies itself as IE, so I wouldn't count on that.

As an aside, your design is nice but is there any reason why /you have to/
use dynamic text to change the main content area? Instead of
building/maintaining alternative pages for different browsers, why not make
your current, single page into several html pages, and deal with browser
differences with alternative style sheets if necessary. Not as slick I know
as the DHTML you have but much easier/economical to build and maintain. At
least that's my conclusion after exhausting myself building unnecessarily
complicated interfaces in the past.

Sorry I don't have a real solution for AOL (mac). Good luck.

Regards,
Bob Haroche
O n P o i n t  S o l u t i o n s
www.OnPointSolutions.com