[thelist] MS SQL DB hand over

Adam Slesinger badlanners at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 8 14:18:00 CDT 2002

Hi Anthony,

I did just that - created a full database backup with the Enterprise
Manager.  The client didn't know what to do with it because I created a file
with no extension.  My fear was that since they never created the DB on
their server, the Restore option in Enterprise Manager wouldn't display the
backup to use.  When I did a test restore overhere, you had to select what
database you wanted to display backups for, and I assumed they wouldn't have
that database to choose from since it never existed on their end...  what
are your thoughts on that?

Anyways, I appreciate the help!  Thanks!

adam

bread_man

"Ein halber Laib ist besser als gar kein Brot."

> You did fine if you used the Backup options in Enterprise Manager. It
> creates a file that will allow you to restore from. They should have no
> problem restoring it. The only trick is if the directories and file names
> are different you need to tell the restore process where the new location
> and file names are, it will try and use the source location and file
names.