[thelist] Posting Word Documents Vs. Creating Web Pages (Intr anet)

Amazon Paulo Amazon.Paulo at Amazoniacelular.com.br
Tue Oct 8 15:07:00 CDT 2002

>The benefit that I find of converting them is that they load faster and
look
>more webby.  The downside is that I have to convert them and reformat them
>which takes time as well as the fact that I have to manage changes to the
>documents whenever they are desired.
>So what do others tend to do?

I had the same situation here in our intranet. Many documents have been
converted to html files, and it had not been a problem until they started to
ask me to change these files.

So we decided to use Word doc files for everything they need. They stay in a
compressed folder in IIS, so they do not waste space. The folder is shared
and the guys who need to edit the files have full access to this folder.
This way, I never have to touch these files and everybody's happy.

The fact we use a intranet means there's almost no difference between
downloading a 50kb doc file and a 5kb html file. No user will complain about
it.

Paulo Guedes